The shower surround options you choose for your bathroom redesign can be the difference between a basic bathroom and an elevated interior design masterpiece. If you’ve ever wanted to get that luxury hotel bathroom look at home, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to discover our picks of the seven best shower wall options for your bathroom.
1. Cambria Quartz
If you want a slick, contemporary finish for your bathroom without the maintenance of marble, consider Cambria quartz. Not only does this material look beautiful, it’s also highly durable and requires minimal maintenance. Just like marble, you can get a sleek and extravagant finish with no grout lines. Without the gaps between the tiles, cleaning is much easier, and you don’t won’t have to replace your wall panels frequently.
Let’s look at the main advantages of Cambria quartz shower surrounds:
- Modern: The days of avocado bathroom suites are long gone, and super-sleek designs are much more affordable than they once were. Quartz looks elegant, luxurious and ultra-modern.
- Low maintenance: Soap and water is all that’s needed for daily cleaning, and glass cleaner is perfect for a deeper clean. Harsh chemicals aren’t necessary and may damage your shower wall’s glorious finish.
- Durable: Quartz is a nonporous material, which means it won’t soak in any water at all. Germs and bacteria won’t be able to penetrate the surface, it won’t crack or chip and the lack of grout joints means you won’t need to replace it once it’s installed. A well-maintained quartz shower wall can last a lifetime.
- Versatile: Quartz can be cut and installed to limitless configurations and comes in a variety of colors, finishes and patterns. There’s the option for veining or no veining, and you can choose between matte and glossy.
2. Cultured Marble or Marble
Marble is a timeless classic when it comes to shower walls and is guaranteed to give that high-end finish many people crave for their bathroom. You can make your home feel like a fancy spa with a custom shower fashioned from marble and can make it as contemporary or traditional as you choose. While cultured marble is better if you’re on a budget, both come with an array of benefits, such as:
- Beautiful: Marble is undeniably gorgeous, and you have the option of adding veining and patterns and opting for large tiles, small tiles or a shower wall with a solid surface.
- Low maintenance: Marble’s surface is very smooth and easy to clean using regular day-to-day cleaning products. To polish marble and get that glossy sheen, you can use a soft cloth and a marble sealer.
- Budget-friendly: Marble is very expensive, but cultured marble is more affordable. You can choose between the two, depending on your budget.
- Long-lasting: Marble can be long-lasting, but you’ll need to get it regularly sealed. Cultured marble is designed to be longer-lasting. Cultured marble is also one of the least likely to stain options for your bathroom wall tiles.
3. Subway Tile Showers
If you’re a fan of the tile shower look, subway tiles might be a great choice for you. First installed on the Manhattan subways, they were designed to be low-maintenance but bright, friendly and hygienic. They reflect light, their glossy finish means bacteria can’t pierce through the surface and they’re resistant to soap scum.
There’s a lot of variation when it comes to price, so if this is your favorite of the shower wall options, you can easily find a subway tile to suit your price range. Our team can help you select the right tile for your application and suggest a coordinating or accenting grout color. .
4. Mosaic Tile Walls and Shower Floor
If you prefer maximalism over minimalism, mosaic shower pans and walls might be the best option for you. You can use stone tile, glass tile, ceramic tile, porcelain tile, marble tile and everything in between to create mosaic patterns, which were popularized by the ancient Romans. This shower surround option can suit any budget due to the varied option of materials. They add character to your bathroom and can be as unique as you choose, with easy cleaning being another key benefit.
5. Glass Tiles
One of the most popular choices for modern wall panels is glass, which is super-hygienic and totally waterproof. You can get glass tiles or panels installed on the sides of open showers for an attractive and clean-looking finish. Keep in mind that glass is fragile and might be prone to chipping or breaking, so be sure to invest in professional installation to mitigate issues.
6. Ceramic and Porcelain Tiles
Porcelain and ceramic tiles are a popular, time-honored choice that come in a wide variety of textures, styles, designs and finishes. They’re long-lasting and easy to clean and often at a budget-friendly price point. Many of our clients choose this option for a kids’ bath because of the price and durability.
What to Consider When Choosing Shower Wall Materials
Different people have varying priorities when it comes to choosing the best materials for their shower. Some are looking for a luxurious, at-home spa bathroom and expense is no issue, while other people are more concerned with affordability and practicality. Other considerations include:
- Grouted or groutless
Keep in mind that spending more up front is likely to save you in the long term, as the more expensive options are often more durable.
Get Your Shower Walls Professionally Installed by the Best
If you’d like to discuss the options for your shower surround with a team of experts, get in touch with Element Design Build Remodel at 330-576-8762 or schedule a consultation today.